Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Small and Simple Things‏




So I´m really thankful for Dad´s letter.  If my letter arrived to Papa just when he needed it, Dad´s letter arrived just when I needed it.  I think sometimes we need that advice from someone who´s already walked these steps, a glimpse of what lies ahead from someone who´s been there.  So thanks Dad.  I love you.

So thanks for delivering the letters mom.  Hopefully they like it.  Since I´m terrible at writing letters I don't know if I´ll be able to write and send anymore off before June.  Like you saw, you´re barely getting the letters from August, September, and December!  Ay.  But the good news is that the rules for internet have changed.  I can now write, friends, priesthood leaders, and converts.  WOO!! And I also have two hours to write now.  So pass my correo along and tell the world that I wanna catch up.  But there´s still one more person that I need to write a letter to...

I´m jealous that you get to go the temple.  I know I was freaked out of my mind when I first went and I wasn´t really anxious to go back any time soon but now.... I just want to go.  I think my freaking out was a lack of my personal preparation.  If you remember, I said I didn´t want to go because I wanted to keep swimming with my friends out by the river.  Aiiiiii  I was a lost soul haha.  But after two years, it´s the one of the first things I want to do!  But anyway, enjoy the temple.

What else?  So this week we had a service project that as you say in Spanish, me sacó el aire!  What we did was remove a wall of dirt and line the wall of the house with plastic so water wouldn´t keep seeping in.  It's been raining like a mad man down here this week. I wake up every morning freezing only to look out the window and see pure clouds.  But then it usually warms up in the morning then starts pouring in the afternoon.  And this poor family of members, Familia Roman, has had their house flooded with a couple inches of water.  Their house is next to a cliff of sorts and a lot of water is leaking out of the wall of earth that´s next to their house.  So we took picks, shovels, hoes, and bars to hack away at the dirt.  Some of the zone was up on the roof, as you can see in the first picture, while I was down on the ground, shoveling away the dirt that fell and then hacking away at the cliff to make some space for us to enter behind the wall.  It took most of the day but we got it done.  We still need to go back to clean up the pile of dirt next to their house though.  My hands, arms, and back are still sore but I feel like a man at least! It was also a good activity to get to know the zone a little more and also build some unity.  Sometimes work helps us grow closer than just playing games together.

  I went to a baptism in Vista Hermosa, a ward a little higher than ours, of a man named Alex Villareal.  It was cool because I´ve seen the name of this man for about 6 months now.  When I first arrived in Quito I saw his name on a list of references from the offices and we tried to find him.  He didn´t live in Quito, so we sent the reference to the sector Tumbaco.  He didn´t live in Tumbaco so I sent the reference to Los Chillos.  Then I got changed to Los Chillos.  Then the sisters in Sangolqui said he didn´t live there but by the Marin, in the zone Santa Ana.  So I sent it there.  But then somehow the missionaries found him way up on the hillside. Two weeks later he was baptized!  Wooo!  I told him how I knew him and he said that nobody knew how to get to where he lived so that´s where the confusion came from.  So I was happy to see him at least.  While we waited for them to changed after the ordinance we sang hymns.  The conductor didn´t know the tune of "A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief" but decided to sing it anyway.  I forgot the tune myself, as did everyone else in the service, so we kinda just mumbled for 6 minutes.  I couldn´t stop laughing because we sounded so terrible.  If I would have walked in to that baptism and saw a bunch of people whispering/muttering about a poor sad man I would have left more depressed than when I arrived!  Who sings that at a baptism anyway?!  But the hymn has a good message in see.  Just sung very poorly.

Well other than that... I got nothin else!  Hopefully we have a baptism this week and we can help a few other sectors out.  I´m gonna go to Vista Hermosa to meet with an old family I was teaching, Familia Guadalupe, to pump em up and help them get baptized in April. I´ll do my best to work hard this week, find some new people, and have some fun too.  I´m doin good here in Los Chillos and we´re gonna see some miracles these next few weeks!

I love you guys, hope you have a great week, thanks for the support, adios!



No comments:

Post a Comment