Friday, April 20, 2012

El Campesino, El Profesor, y La Droga‏





Ladies and Gentlemen good evening!  I have something interesting to tell this week so we might as well listen to this constant babbling and hope we learn something and don't waste our lives reading.  But let us begin!

It all started on a rainy morning, the 6th of April.  We studied like usual in the morning and headed off to lunch by the Ferroviaria.  As we were thus traveling in the bus my companion asked me if we should stop by and visit one of our investigators, I said yes, and we got off the bus.  As we walked up to the investigator's house there was a man in yellow walking next to us looking quite lost and looking for something in his pockets.  I was going to ask him if he lost something when he then stopped and asked us for help reading this little card he had.

He told us that he was from a small indigenous colony by Loja and couldn't read, but his boss sent him here to Quito to meet some doctor.  So we looked at the card and we didn't know the direction but we read the back part and this boss wrote that he was sending his worker to collect a check but that this doctor shouldn't give this worker the full pay but instead only give him a third and keep the rest for the two of them.  I thought to myself "well that's pretty jacked up!"  

The little man in yellow continued looking at us pitifully and fretfully and appeared scared out of his mind.  We told him what the card said and he didn't fully understand so he asked a well dressed man who was passing by to help us.  This well dressed man said he was a professor in a university and that he could help.  We continued talking and we came to find out that this little indigenous man in yellow had won 2nd place in the lottery, a sum of $50,000. 

"Wow, good thing we found this guy!  We can help him save his family from the poverty they're stuck in AND teach the gospel.  WOO!!" The man then promised us $2,000 if we would help him take out this money and then get on a bus to Loja, I told him we didn't want his money but yes we could help him. But the campesino was still scared out of his mind and he wanted to know that he could trust us.  Wanted to know that we had money to live and that we weren't going to go steal his money and dump him off in some place.  So the professor said, "look, I have a thousand dollars in my house, I'll go get it and show you I have money."

So we sat and waited and talked with the man and his sad story of his dying grandparents and family and how he was Evangelical.  Awesome.  Then the professor showed him the money then they put it in a pink little bag and had me tie it.  Then they sent the money back to the house of the professor.  Then the campesino said he needed to trust us.  I said we are representatives of Jesus Christ and we are not here to rob or trick anybody.  Trust me!!  But he wasn't satisfied.  So we decided to go get the small $45 that we DID have in the house.  He kept asking me about my credit cards and everything.  I said yeah I have about $80 in the bank.  "Show him the money so that he can trust you and we can give the money to the poor children that need help. "  Yeah okay.

So we went to get a taxi and just then a blue car drove by saying it was a taxi.  So we hopped in (MISTAKE).  I then taught this man the Restoration while we were in the back of the car.  He seemed thrilled that we believed his ancestors left a book here in the Americas.  We showed up to our house, my companion got the $45 and we showed it to them.  Look!  We can live!  I showed him my card for the mission (because I couldn't find my personal card) and said yes we have money.  They asked me if I could go take out money right now.   I told them no because I didn't want to get robbed (FORESHADOW).  So they said okay.

My companion then put the money in the pink little bag and the professor tied it up.  They told us, okay go put the money back in your house.  But leave your backpacks and watches so that we know you'll come back.  I didn't want to leave my backpack but my companion had already left his watch so I left mine as well, "Cost 5 bucks in Guaranda so there ya go!"  We went up the house again I told my companion, this is just ridiculous, how long are we gonna go along with this? He said "he's scared elder we have to help him!"  Okay...I won't be a heartless gringo then.
  
THEN!  "Elder Jackson, the money is gone!"  
#$%$#%!!
They weren't there and had all left.  All gone.  That's when the connections were made.  DANG IT!! I KNEW ELDER I KNEW IT!! I FELT SOMETHING!! DANG IT!!  (punched a door or two...) But Elder Recalde looked sad so I just went and put my hand on his shoulder and said, "well at least we have something interesting to write in our journals!"

But yeah my time is up.  But the story is that the little card they had was covered in some kinda drug that makes you just go along with things.  It's crazy!  We were all dizzy and tired afterwards.  But I learned to listen to the spirit and NEVER TALK WITH PEOPLE WHO CAN'T READ!!!

But now I found my card and we're not gonna die!!!  WOOO!!!!  And we're gonna be here for another change!  But thanks everybody, HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD, KEEP ON TRUCKIN CHANNING, ROCK ON and I love you all. BYE!

No comments:

Post a Comment