Saturday, August 27, 2011

Week Six: Pizza in Lima

OKAY!! So sorry for the late email it has been a heck of a day.   


So we started out getting to go on a tour of Lima, since everyone was gone but us few American districts, but that had to be cut short because of Dallin H Oaks coming.  That was grand.  We got to see the beach and go to this main square in Lima.  It was nice to see that Lima wasn´t just one big ghetto.  I bought a jacket and some pizza.  Soooo nice to eat pizza instead of rice.  But then I felt greasy afterwards.  So when we got back to the CCM I ate some rice anyway.  


Felt wrong without it.  


So my Latino compañero is gone but I´m getting a new one either tonight or tomorrow.  He is from Colombia.  And probably does´t speak any English which is good for me.  I am actually really lucky to be getting a Latino because there are 55 new American elders coming and thus not everyone will be getting one.  I was so happy.  And they changed up the districts too.  I am not sorry to say that I believe I am in the slower group, thus the Latino compañero.  But I need as much help as I can get and so I will progress.  I feel somewhat better of my Español though, it IS improving.  


We actually went proselyting last Saturday and it was crazy.  We walked on the streets and knocked on doors, my Latino compañero and I.  We were so weak at the beginning, the person would say "we´re busy" and we would just say that´s okay. and walk off.  Elder Vindas got a little frustrated.  So I decided change game plan.  We knocked on this other door, the man said he was busy, and so I said we want to talk about Jesus Christ with you.  He didn´t close the door.  THEN Elder Vindas took over with the Spanish.  The man heard that we didn´t have belly buttons.  We told him we did and gave him a pamphlet.  So we continued with more success, at least talking to people (I don´t know if they´ll do anything with the pamphlets) one old man opened his door and just said OTRO VEZ?! And informed us he is catholic till he dies.  


These people love Jesucristo and have a good faith in him as far as we can see.  


So yeah I had to give my first blessing.....in Spanish....I crapped my pants.   Not literally ya know.  But yeah.  So we got into this lady´s house, tried teaching her of the Book of Mormon but I don´t know if she understood.  All she kept saying was mmmhmmm, claro, si.... and then this man named Felix walked in.  Hello Felix! Then they all talked really fast Spanish and then he moved his shirt and there was this huge purple growth tumor thingy I don´t know on his neck.  OHOOHHOHOHOHHOHHHH.... 


So I heard it bothered him, then some more fast Español then I heard sacerdocio, and then we were up.  Elder Vindas informed me he was going to use the oil, and we whipped out the White Handbook.  So I didn´t know what the heck to do!! I couldn´t even pronounce his stinkin name.  Felix mumble Verde.  So I got my hands on his head and just blessed him, in the best Spanish I could, with feelings of peace and comfort and the knowledge that God loves him.  The end.  But not so smoothly.  I have no idea if it will do any good, which is terrible cuz I know blessings depend on faith, but I seriously don´t know if I had any effect on him.  It just didn´t feel right, but that might have been first time nerves.  I didn´t like it but I don´t know. Maybe it´s like the temple.  Acquired taste.  Or I´m scared of responsibility.  I hate that.  


Suck it up princess.  


ANYWHO!!! Some lady yelled across the street in English, "WHAT´S YO NAME?! WHAT´S YO NAME?!" I told her Elder Jackson, OTRO DIA!! OTRO DIA!!! So we wrote down her address anyway.  No clue what the heck happened there.   And talked to some guy about the Word of Wisdom.  That was interesting.  But I don´t like how the people look at me, as if expecting something, until they realize I can´t express all my thoughts, then ignore me.  haha but someday!! I will get there.  but it is frustrating at the momement.  


SO!! We have a new president, for a limited time, and he is changing the carefree atmosphere that was here when we got here.  No shaking hands, perfect bedrooms, always have a Book of Mormon in your hand, and such.  Which is good I guess.  But it´s different!  Elder Oaks gave a really cool talk, it was an involved talk about recieving revelation.  He has a great testimony, and you know he is called of God.  It was cool how he uses the Spirit.  And revelation is really cool.. It´s nice to see the Apostles have personalities when they´re not in General Conference.  He moves fast too.  It was good.  


But hey, everything is going grand and dandy!! Living life! I am growing and doing good.  I really enjoy the small things that I can see and try to stay focused.  


Love you all, adios.

No comments:

Post a Comment