Sunday, July 24, 2011

Week One: Hola!


HOLA!

 Well, yes I am alive and tired in the grand ole town of the MTC.  Whew. So where do I start?

The plane flights were fine.  I know how everyone says how rough those flights out of Alamosa are, but I slept straight through it.  Some lady behind me told me that was the worst flight she's been on and I said, “oh, I slept right through it, that's too bad for you.” 

Then in Denver I ate some Quiznos with some Asian people.  That was fine.  Then I slept on two middle-aged ladies on the flight to Utah.  Usually the other way around, but I wasn't complaining.  So, I got my luggage fine and met some other missionaries who were going to the MTC.  One sister missionary was going to Quito, too.  I told her, “WHAT'S UP?!” She didn't know much. Me either. 

The shuttle finally arrived, which was a van.  This old man shoved all our bags in there.  Somehow this man from China was with us in the van...he and five missionaries.  But he loved to talk so I just listened to him and told others about my idea of a moped-gang.  They weren't too bad. 

So I finally arrive! Have some missionary take my luggage away, I got my picture taken and put on a blue card, and got a packet.  I live on the top floor by the stairs in a building at the end of the MTC.  So I got to my room and noticed some things we didn't pack. ONE! Preach my gospel.  But I got a new one, so no worries. TWO! Troy's tie that he gave me to make a tradition. THREE! My yellow fever card.  The small yellow one in plastic.  I just can't get back in the country if I don't have it so, no big.  I'll become one with the alpacas, grow my beard out, and sing “Llamad a Sevir” all my long, long, long days of solitude. 

Well, anyway, I put my stuff in my room, and went and got my Spanish materials.  Then off to class I went! I was starving… (EAT BEFORE YOU GET IN THE MTC, CHANNING).  You'll get here at 12 but they'll have you doing other stuff so you'll have to wait till dinner to eat.  I was so sad.  Pero, I met my new companero. He's an excited little Utah guy.  He loves singing and he's orderly and nods his head a lot.  Wears glasses.  Look at him looking at me.  Yeeeesssss I'm watching you Elder.  Muhahahaha, I can talk about you while you smile at me.  I smile back.  You go back to reading.  I go back to typing.  In this cave of laundry and heat and wind and hangers. 

So! I met him and started my classes.  And ate.  The food is good here! There is a quantity of it so I'm happy at least.  We had interviews with the branch presidency and when I told him I'm eating more here than I was at home he jumped on me like a puma on a baby deer!!

He started asking me, are you homesick?? Do you not have food at home?? Will you get homesick?? I just told him no, I just had to make my own peanut butter and jelly so I didn't eat much!! I don't know if I'll get homesick, maybe, probably but so what? It's only the second day!! Sheesh.  Greasy men. 

But most missionaries here are from Utah.  I see Ben and Kyle every once in a while.  Not a whole lot.  They're in different districts.  I'm in district 38 B.  It's a pretty good group of elders.  I've started to get to know them and they're cool.  The other elders in my room are awesome, too.  They're funny and give good advice.  So muy bien.  The people on my floor are just crazy though.  They just scream and run around.  I was like, what the heck?! QUIET DIGNITY?!?! Eh, esta bien.

Okay! so Channing, remember they use Preach my Gospel a lot.  Um, Spanish is slooooowly coming.  I'm terrible at putting sentences together.  I can understand them and know individual words, and how to conjugate but the ability to put sentences together is terrible.  I forget all my words.  Yeesh.  So that's a bit frustrating when my district is talking Spanish.  But hey, I'll either learn now or when I'm Peru with only Spanish to survive.  But so far, yeah, the MTC has been good! You learn a lot and it feels good to be here.  But you are tired all the time.  Muy cansado.  So tell me how it's going, what's new and what's barking up your tree! Yippee.

I haven't gotten any letters from anyone else but esta bien. We knew that would happen.  But hey it's been good! It's been great! But now I must run and do spiritual cartwheels.  OH! So if you would be so kind as to send that tie and if you can find my Yellow fever card that would be much appreciated.  Por favor y gracias. 

ADIOS!! Tes amo! (or something like that… no se!)

No comments:

Post a Comment