Sunday, April 28, 2013

Feliz de la vida‏


Hey mom how´s it goin?  I just barely got back from a zone activity three hours away in a tourist hotspot called Baños.  Baño actually means bathroom and I haven´t quiet figured out why it´s called that.... maybe because of all the waterfalls.... if I had a full bladder and was next to a rushing waterfall a bathroom would be one of the first things I´d want too I guess.... those crazy Spaniards and their names!
But it was fun, my card doesn´t seem to work on this computer so next week I´ll show you what it was like.  The last time I went was my first couple of months in the mission field so it was cool to go back as an old man missionary.  I know most of the missionaries in the zone from the time I was in La Luz so it was cool to talk to them and see how they´re doing.
Okay so I´ve been thinking about future careers and such (this can´t be good) but I think I would like to first start off studying biology.  I´ve realized I really like nature, animals, and science stuff so maybe I could start off studying that.  And if not, I can always go in to medicine and still not have wasted my time studying something entirely unrelated.  So thinking of that.... if I would like to go to medical school I don´t see BYU as the best pick, but maybe The University of Utah.  I know it has a great medical program, probably impossible to get into this late into the applying game, but I could study biology in the mean time and maybe later get into medicine if I try my best.  But as I study biology, and I really feel that I have a future in nature/animal, Discovery Channel, National Geographic stuff I´ll go with that.  So I see the University of Utah as the university with the most open doors for me at the moment and would prefer to go there I think.  If it´s too expensive, if it´s not possible, I can go to BYU.  But I´ll work after getting home and I´ll start a savings fund to be able to get into the UofU.  So that´s my plan.  I got accepted but I think I forgot to defer..... or I forgot my password I believe.  If you could help me with that I´ll definitely have more time next week to try and help you out.  But could you try to see what you could do to help me get in and have at least some general classes?  If not, help me know where to go and I´ll do it next week.  Yeah?  So that´s the decision...for now.  The Utes.
Okey well the whole Boston thing sounds like a series finale of 24.  Geez.  That´s crazy. 
You work like a mad woman in a sweat shop.  Hopefully you can take a break!
So this weekend we had two baptisms.  They´re 13 and 10 years old respectively and are the children of a lady (who was baptized in March) and her husband (who´s not a member....yet).  Their other daughter, was baptized with her mother, and the youngest daughter is only seven years old.  It was a good baptism, seeing that the church is on the second floor of some building, we do the baptisms in a river.  I´ll send the photo next week.  It was good and I was happy for them.  So what was interesting is that on Sunday night we got a call from the dad.  They were just getting done with a meeting with the branch president,  because they were having marriage problems (affairs, physical abuse, and then separation.... all the things that tick me off about the world...) and the dad just said that he wanted to talk to us.  I felt, "Baptism."  We met up with him at his house and he said, "Elders, I want to be baptized this weekend."  We stared at him.  
"But I want brother Vicente Cajilema to baptize me."
We smiled and said "Well...alright!  Cool!"

This hermano is an interesting person.  He always told us how he can´t change, how he´s always been Catholic, he likes to drink, how he needs to fix a lot of things before baptism, but that he likes the church.  He always has questions, he always has doubts, he´ll argue till you´re blue in the face, but then at the end he accepts it.  Like we taught him about the Word of Wisdom last week and he argued with us about how we can´t interpret "hot drinks" for tea and coffee for about 20 minutes but then at the end of the lesson he said, I like this commandment, I think I need to stop smoking.  "Aight. Cool!"  So we gave him a priesthood blessing and then we talked with him yesterday and said he hasn´t smoked all week.  He said, "Your little prayer thing worked!"  Faith and the power of God work miracles my friends.
Soooo anyway we´re gonna be working like mad men to help him be prepared for baptism this weekend.  Whew.  I love the mission because the Spirit will suddenly touch the heart of someone and then it´s like a Pop Tart jumping out of the toaster unexpectedly. Ya gotta get it while it´s still hot!
I miss Pop Tarts.
Other than that, we´ve been visiting less active members  finding new people, doing service (we went to a dump the other day.  One word : APESTA!) and living life.  My companion´s mom is doing fine, doing very well, his knee needs help but we´re on our way.  The Lord is blessing us, we´re excited to work, I´m happy to be in my own isolated town where nobody makes me trunky, and we´re gonna darle duro these coming weeks.  I´m sorry that I don´t have time to write any one else this week but I just want ya to know that I love you guys, thanks for the support and the help and stay strong!  Carry on! Remember that the sun is shining!  Adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment